Laboratory Hours: Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
laboratory at TBRHSC enjoys state-of-the-art technology in an environment which assists staff to achieve goals for high quality results.
We perform diagnostic testing on blood, body fluids and tissue to assist the physician in diagnosis and management and to promote early
detection and prevention of disease.
All samples for testing are received in one area where processing begins with an inspection that ensures the quality, quantity and suitability of the
specimen for the test requested. From this central receiving area, the samples are routed to the appropriate section of the laboratory
for analysis and result reporting.
Click here for specific Specimen Collection Instructions
We have a full service laboratory licensed by the Ontario Ministry of Health to perform general and specialized tests in the following categories:
- Chemistry: (eg blood sugars, PSA)
- Pathology: (diagnosis of surgical specimens, autopsies)
- Cytology: (specifically looks for cancer cells eg sputum, cervical smears, body fluids and fine needle biopsies)
- Hematology: (hemoglobin, measuring clotting factors eg prothrombin)
- Microbiology: (the culturing of bacteria, identifying them and providing the name of antibiotics that will be effective against
the grown bacteria)
- Transfusion Medicine: (the issuing of compatible blood products and prenatal testing and also directing the Autologous Transfusion
and Bone Bank Programs)
Outpatient Blood Collections
Patients may have their blood taken for laboratory testing in the Out-Patient Laboratory Area from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30
p.m. To book an appointment for 'Sweat Chlorides' please call (807) 684-6360 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 3:30
The laboratory is staffed with over 100 people including pathologists, medical laboratory technologists (MLT) morgue and phlebotomy
technicians, clerical personnel and students.
TBRHSC laboratory provides clinical rotations for technologists and technicians from St. Lawrence College (Kingston), Cambrian College
(Sudbury), and Confederation College (Thunder Bay).
Evelyn Armstrong, MLT, ART
Technical Manager Laboratory Medicine
Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre
980 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario