The Telemedicine Department at the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre provides secure videoconferencing connecting patients with healthcare professionals using the Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN) and Keewaytinook Okimakanak Telemedicine Network (KOTM, serving Indigenous communities), or for other healthcare-related activities. In fact, Telemedicine can be used in many different ways:
- Patients in Thunder Bay can have virtual appointments with a doctor elsewhere in Ontario , saving time and the inconvenience of travelling.
- Patients in Northwestern Ontario can meet with a doctor or specialist located in Thunder Bay.
- Patients meet with other health care professionals for appointments, such as dietician, social worker, nurse practitioners, etc.
- Professional education events including workshops, conferences, and meetings.
- Physician to physician consults over distances.
- Tele-Visitation, video visit with loved ones anywhere in the world.
- Tele-Derm, provides physicians and nurse practitioners with timely recommendations by ordering photographs to be taken by a Telemedicine Nurse and securely sent to a Dermatologist based in Ontario using OTN’s store forward service.
- ASL (American Sign Language) interpretation services are available through videoconference for inpatients.
Telemedicine consultations may include advanced technology including connecting a wireless stethoscope for listening to heart sounds or high definition camera with powerful zoom to view superior medical images over thousands of miles.
Telemedicine and OTN’s network is safe and secure, ensuring that your visit and personal health information are kept confidential at all times.
For more information:
Please contact the Telemedicine Department at the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre at: (807) 684-6711 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN) website: www.otn.ca
How to Book an Appointment Through Telemedicine
For an Out-of-Town Doctor’s/Specialist’s Appointment
All Telemedicine appointments must be scheduled by your doctor’s/specialist’s office. If the appointment is not automatically booked this way, you may need to contact the specialist’s office and request your appointment by Telemedicine, to see if the clinician can accommodate this type of appointment.
Telemedicine is most easily done for consultations before a procedure, or for follow-up afterwards that do not require a physical exam. Also, although Telemedicine is becoming more and more popular with healthcare professionals, it is up to your own doctor/specialist/care provider whether or not they are willing to meet you by Telemedicine.
If you are NOT booked by Telemedicine, once you receive a notification of your appointment with your doctor or specialist:
- Contact the specialist’s office to request that this appointment be made via Telemedicine.
- In many cases, the office may not be familiar with Telemedicine. You can forward them OTN’s Costumer Care number at 1-855-654-0888 or email us at: email@example.com and we will assist them.
- Once the Telemedicine appointment has been scheduled, you will be contacted by OTN directly with your appointment information.