Breast Cancer Screening
Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in Ontario women. It can be hard to see or feel, which is why Cancer Care Ontario recommends that women have their breasts screened using mammography. A mammogram is an X-ray of your breast tissue and is the best screening test available to detect breast cancer early.
The Ontario Breast Screening Program (OBSP) is the provincial breast cancer screening program that oversees breast cancer screening for women between the ages of 50 and 74 years. In order to be affiliated with the OBSP organized breast screening program, regional sites and their staff must meet provincial quality and performance standards.
When should I be screened for breast cancer?
The OBSP recommends that women at average risk should get a regular breast screening mammogram every two years if they:
- Are between 50 and 74 years of age
- Are Ontario residents
- Have no acute breast symptoms
- Have no personal history of breast cancer
- Have no current breast implants
- Have not had a mammogram in the past 11 months
Women at high risk for breast cancer
Some women are at increased risk of developing breast cancer and require yearly screening. Speak to your healthcare provider (nurse practitioner or family physician) about the right screening for you. For information about the provincial OBSP High Risk Program
Where can you get screened?
At the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre there are two breast screening services available to you: The Linda Buchan Centre and the Screen for Life Coach. Both of these sites are affiliated with the OBSP.
The Linda Buchan Centre is the breast screening and assessment centre located in Diagnostic Imaging at the Health Sciences Centre.
The Screen for Life Coach is a mobile screening service that travels to more than 60 different locations throughout Northwestern Ontario from April to October. The Screen for Life Coach offers three different types of screening to women: breast, cervical, and colorectal.
For more information on the Screen for Life Coach.
Regional OBSP Affiliated Sites:Fort Frances
Riverside Health Care Facilities
110 Victoria Avenue
Fort Frances, ON
Lake of the Woods District Hospital
21 West Sylvan Street
Sioux Lookout Meno Ya Win Health Centre
1 Meno Ya Win Way
PO BOX 909
Sour Outlook, ON
Thunder Bay Medical Diagnostics
63 Algoma St N #100
Thunder Bay, ON
How do you book an appointment?
When you make your appointment you can choose the location you’d like to visit for breast screening. The Screen for Life Coach offers over 60 locations in Thunder Bay and the region.
Do you have more questions?
Cancer Screening Tips
- More than 80% of breast cancers are found in women over age 50 years.
- Most women diagnosed with breast cancer have no family history.
- Cancer screening finds cancer earlier, when it is easier to treat.
- The Screen for Life Coach offers breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening services.
- The Screen for Life Coach visits over 60 different locations throughout Northwestern Ontario.
- We work with Cancer Care Ontario to offer organized cancer screening programs for adults in our region. Visit cancercare.on.ca for more information.