Become a Patient Family Advisor
As an academic health sciences centre (teaching hospital) Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre has a mission to advance world-class Patient and Family Centred Care in academic, research-based acute care environment. Services are provided for people of Northwestern Ontario, a geographical area the size of France. We recognize the importance of partnering with our patients and families to meet the needs and priorities of our community.
A Patient Family Advisor is…
A patient or patient’s family member that has experienced care within the past two years who are:
- Understanding and supportive of Patient and Family Centred Care
- Willing to share insights, ideas and experiences in ways others can learn
- Committed and trustworthy
- Comfortable speaking in a group and interact well with others
- Focused on improving care experiences for others
- A good listener who respects the perspectives of others
- Able to keep patient and organizational information confidential
Patient Family Advisor Role
Patient Family Advisors share their valuable insights and first-hand knowledge of how services impact patients. Patient Family Advisors help us meet the needs and priorities of our patients, families and community.
Patient Family Advisors have direct input and influence the policies, programs and practices that shape the care and services that people receive at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre.
Effective Patient Family Advisor…
- Believe that your health experiences or your family members’ will make a difference for others
- Have good listening and communication skills
- Has an open mind and positive approach
- Want to find solutions
You decide how much time you volunteer as a Patient Family Advisor. It may be a one-time activity, such as sharing your hospital experience to healthcare providers. It may involve participation in a committee, working group, or team.
To accommodate Patient Family Advisors residing in another city or community, teleconference or videoconference is available for those who are not in Thunder Bay.
Free parking passes are given when volunteering at a Patient Family Advisor activity.
We encourage people of Northwestern Ontario to apply for this great opportunity to help make a difference.
How to Apply
Start your journey to make a difference..
The Patient Family Advisor application process includes:
- Application and reference forms
- Volunteer orientation program
- Patient Family Advisor orientation program
If you are interested in becoming a Patient Family Advisor, please contact:Bonnie Nicholas
Patient Family Centred Care Lead at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Center
Telephone: (807) 684-7322